Tuesday, February 26, 2013

#twodaysleft


There are two days left in the pontificate of Benedict XVI and the faithful Catholics in Rome, including pilgrims from all over the world, are preparing to greet him good-bye tomorrow morning during the Pope's last public audience. This audience is most unique for the following day Benedict XVI will no longer be Pope from 8pm. Everyone knows that this gathering tomorrow morning is absolutely the last opportunity to see his holiness as Pope and to express gratitude for his faithful service to the Church and the world.

The Pontifical Gregorian University, like some other pontifical universities, has cancelled all morning classes tomorrow and this will allow me to be present. Okay, I confess that I would've skipped class had my university not made this choice. But I have to say that it is a sweet feeling to be able to participate in a historic moment such as tomorrow's audience without breaking any human rules, unless I cut in line at some point while we are entering the square. Anyways, I know many of my friends and family members would love to be present but due to distance cannot do it. And so I promise I will wake up as early as possible to get the best spot on the piazza and take lots of historical pictures for all of you. Additionally, I will describe the atmosphere and the amazing details of the event on this blog. As you can see in the picture above I have my ticket ready although they say the Swiss Guards will not ask for it this one time.

I have a feeling that tomorrow's papal event will have the excitement and the communion of a World Youth Day. I believe we will have a St. Peter's as packed and as prayerful as the day of GPII's beatification. At the same time, this audience will be an unrepeatable blessing that will witness to the world the Church's unity and love for Christ as thousands of Catholics will get together to thank the Lord for the leader that He has given to us for the past eight years. I'm sorry but my history professor has aroused these suspicions, hopes, and expectations in our class today. I let you judge whether I'm exaggerating. Here are the first words in today's lecture of this doctor of Church History, who has been teaching Modern History of the Church for more than 30 years at the Gregorian University and works as vice-prefect of the Secret Vatican Archives: "We are living a dramatic week. There are shocking news. The church is in crisis. The church is always in crisis. There's only One who is never in crisis: God Himself. We have a dramatic week but not a tragic one".

No comments:

Post a Comment