Wednesday, February 13, 2013

#igotohim


It's crazy right now. I'm getting ready to go to Pope Benedict's last public Mass as Pope. This is one of my crazy last minute decisions. It's worth it though. He has been a great shepherd. The thing is that he was supposed to come to the neighborhood where I live as he did last year and the previous years. As other popes have done. On Ash Wednesday the papal tradition is to celebrate mass at the Basilica that is next door to my house, literally! I took the picture above on the last Ash Wednesday when he came. The camera I used then was just terrible and I was obviously shaking.

Pope Benedict XVI himself has come to visit those of us who live on the Aventino Hill on the first day of Lent. This year I go to him. I go to St. Peter's because the Holy See has made the smart decision not to keep the papal tradition this year. The Holy See has decided out of prudence that the Pope should celebrate the first Mass of Lent in the Vatican this year. It would've been super-crazy around here, full of journalists and other persons.  I go to him together with some other brother Somascans because we want to show our support and our appreciation for all he has done. This was not in my plans, I still have one more exam on Friday, but I'm going. 

I was at St. Peter's two hours ago trying to find tickets and the atmosphere is of support. The faithful have showed up. One example: there was a musical band from some small village in Germany with traditional dresses playing traditional music and holding signs of support to the pope.

I am leaving on this moment, heading to St. Peter's, to live this Mass, this last Mass, with Pope Benedict XVI and the faithful. I will remember you all in my prayers. Please remember me in yours because right now it's the good Time to do it, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment